Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My Shortest Story Ever

Once again I need to get a post up and I have absolutely no ideas. I blame it on my car getting broken into. Seems reasonable.

Anyway, instead of throwing up another Reckless Activities for Stupid People column, I decided to do something a little bit different with my laziness.

So here is the shortest story I've ever had published. I submitted it for a "micro-fiction" contest way back in 1999. "Micro-fiction" in this case meant a story with a beginning, middle and end, all in less than 100 words. I was one of the three winners for the contest, and the story was published in a magazine called "Quicker" back in the winter of 99/00. It was a magazine devoted to flash-fiction, which usually is defined as stories of less than 500 words. I'm pretty sure for winning I got my story published in a magazine with a circulation in the low triple digits, and probably one free copy of said magazine.

My story is entitled "Tag," and including the title clocks in at 96 words. If you've got 7 seconds to spare, give it a read.

TAG

The sweat trickled down Jack’s face and neck as he crashed through the woods at top speed. Branches and thorns tore at his skin and clothing, but he ignored them. He didn’t want to be It.
            Jack had always hated playing tag. Especially with Brett. Brett could be so brutal, so cruel. And today was worse than ever.
            A branch tripped Jack and he crashed to the ground. He turned in horror as he heard footsteps behind him. Brett stood there, grinning maniacally.
            “Tag, you’re it,” Brett said as he raised the gun and fired.

1 comment:

  1. It took me 47 seconds to read it. And since my reading comprehension sucks, I had to read it three more times, which took me six more minutes. And then I wrote this post, which has been taking me twelve minutes thus far. What I'm saying is, you lied.

    ReplyDelete