Sunday, November 20, 2011

Crazy for Collections

Any of you that know me are probably aware that I'm a bit of a collector. Or at least you're aware that I own a ton of crap, which I try to convince people (mainly my wife) are "collectibles."

I'm not quite at "Hoarders" level, but probably closer than most of you are.
Over the years I've collected tons of different items. Some I was into for years, some only a couple of days before I got bored with it.

Right now, I'm pretty much down to 3 collections. The one that is probably most obvious to visitors of my house would be memorabilia from The Simpsons.

This is an actual shot of my home office. Ladies.
The next are Ace Doubles paperbacks. They're Sci-Fi and Fantasy books from the 60s and 70s that are flip books containing 2 full novels. I got them mainly because the covers are great, but there's also some fun stuff to read in there.

And the inspiration for more than one Best/Bad Book Cover. B3C for my homies in the back!
By far my biggest, and longest running, collection is comic books. 

Most of them are NKOTB comics. Ladies.

I have more comics than I know what to do with. I have more comics than most people even knew existed. I have more comics than a grown man should have without being embarrassed. 

Yet I'm not embarrassed. Partly because I think there's nothing to be embarrassed about collecting and reading comics, and anyone that thinks so is ill-informed and close-minded. And partly because that's not even close to the most embarrassing thing I've ever collected.

That would be my collection of ceramic animal miniatures.

Dear Lord, I wish I were joking. Ladies.
As a kid, I was into these. I owned dozens of them. Dogs, ducks, frogs, bears. It didn't really matter what animal it was, just that it was small and ceramic. Apparently when I grew up I wanted to be someone's elderly aunt that lives alone with her cats. I got most of these from this weird, tiny shop up by our cabin that was run by a guy that nowadays would probably have to go door to door anytime he moved into a new neighborhood.

This guy knows what I mean.
I probably shouldn't have told people about that. Too bad I haven't learned how to tell the Korean woman I transcribe my posts to to delete things. Such is life.

That's my collection of collections, both embarrassing and non. What are yours? Put them in the comments. I might not even make fun of you.*


* I almost certainly will make fun of you. But post anyways! It can't be worse than ceramic animals bought from a child molester.



8 comments:

  1. Other collections include:

    stolen pint glasses
    movie posters
    fish
    mardi gras plastic cups
    shot glasses
    hats
    maps
    pewter plates (2, but it has to be a collection, nothing else justifies them)
    records
    things that say Big Daddy on them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did say "pretty much down to 3 collections." Not "precisely down to 3 collections." And I kind of forgot about some of these. That's not a good sign.

    Although I'll argue the pewter plate thing to my grave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good thing I don't collect anything. I'd hate to be a hoarder like Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that I'd call that worse.

    Plus, Corbin Bernsen is the shit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please. I don't think we need MORE ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I collect beating-you-at-air-hockey-on-your-own-air-hockey-table.

    So far I have 2. I thought I had another one, but I lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you also collect "being a big fat jerk."

    Burn!

    ReplyDelete